Who can benefit and where are services provided?
- Tucker Family Supports provides family support in Pittsburgh, PA, to individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD). We value what is important to people with IDD and their families, who are striving for everyday life. Everyday life is about opportunities, relationships, rights, and responsibilities. It is about being a member of the community, having a valued role, making a contribution to society, and having one’s rights as a citizen fully respected. It is a vision that we should all be working toward together.
- People with IDD have a right to everyday life; a life that is no different than that of all other citizens. This continues to be the truest statement on which we can build our work. Tucker
“Everyday Lives affirms our dedication to making it possible for everyone to live a life of meaning and joy."
Deputy Secretary, Office of Developmental Programs Nancy Thaler
Services like family support can be provided in virtually any setting by trained staff. Settings include family homes, residential communities, group homes, personal care homes, or assisted living environments; community recreational settings; and work settings. Community and recreational settings include the diversity of social experiences, such as going to the movies or a zoo, taking public transportation, or attending a sporting event.
- We design and implement individualized treatment plans for individuals with IDD who live in homes, focusing on cooking, homemaking, personal care, leisure activities, and other areas of interest.
- We are trained to take a strength-based approach and belief that every individual has strengths that contribute to society.
- Person-centered thinking involves the individual in every step. It supports the individual by setting their own goals and making their own decisions.